Monday, September 18, 2006

Ready, Set, Go (Again)

Yes. It has been a long, long time since I posted. I don't know why. A lot has happened with the project, but I think that when I was focused on it, I was not quite ready to add additional "work" to the pile by talking about it here. And when I wasn't focused on it, well...I just wasn't doing anything even remotely related. Perhaps I was taking this blog too seriously. Trying to be impressive and insightful. Bah. Maybe I'll just try writing about the process and progress for a while.

So, a quick update: 1) my prospectus and reading lists were accepted in the early Spring quarter. 2) I had a full exam committee in place. 3) I took the written portion of my qualifying exam at the beginning of May. 4) Despite massive stress and overpreparation, I did well. 5) I took the oral portion of the quals at the beginning of June, with the full commitee of five, and I passed those.

What that all means is that I am officially advanced to candidacy. I am A.B.D. and my project has been leant a degree of legitimacy.

From June until now, I have done absolutely zero. Which is fine with me. But now it's getting to be time to start the engines once again, and begin the real race. The only problem is:

HOW THE HELL DO I WRITE A BOOK!?!

So much led up to the prospectus and the quals, and it was an amazing feeling to pass and actually be credited with a great project by five professors. All my preparation and hopes were bent toward that goal. And then I achieved it! And then...they tell me congratulations, now go write a book.

OH SHIT.

So here I am, and if I thought staring at a blank screen at the beginning of a twenty-page seminar paper was bad, I'd have to say I've passed straight through that anxiety and gone out the other side.

But I must march on. Keep on pushing that boulder up the hill...

Any ideas? Anyone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Christian said...

The only thing I learned from the book-writing process is to take it one chapter at a time and just keep going. Hell, if I can do it you certainly can. Jack's advice has been good throughout so keep listening to him. This assumes his heart doesn't explode midway through the process.

9/24/2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home